Indian Head Massage...
Why have an Indian Head Massage at Body and Mind Studio? Easy. Total relaxation. Tension is eased and a sense of well-being and peace is felt. The head, neck and shoulders are important energy centres within your body. If you are feeling stressed or angry, tension accumulates. This can show up as a stiff neck and shoulders or eyestrain. Headaches and heaviness are relieved, muscles unknotted and other parts of the body respond to a gentle, relaxed massage. It works on an emotional level too, calming the spirit, promoting relaxation and relieving stress.
The head and hair are extremely sensitive as they are crowded with nerve endings making them extremely receptive to touch. Painkillers taken to relieve headaches often ’mask’ the pain, but Indian Head Massage helps tackle the problem at its source, relaxing the tense muscles that cause the problem.
History of Indian Head Massage
Body and Mind Studio Indian Head Massage is based on Indian Champissage which includes massage of the shoulders, upper arms, neck, scalp face, ears and energy balancing, with or without oils. This method originated from Narendra Mehta. It is based on the traditional form of Champi (head massage) practiced in India for over 1,000 years. The word ‘shampoo’ originated from the Hindi word ‘Champi’. It was originally developed as a technique to keep long, thick hair healthy, as part of the grooming routine. Different oils were used according to the season to keep hair strong, lustrous and in beautiful condition.
Massage has always played an important part of Indian life. Today, Indian infants still often receive a daily massage from birth to keep them in good health. From 3 to 6 years old they are massaged once or twice a week, and thereafter they are taught to share a massage with family members on a regular basis. At Body and Mind Studio, we practice what we preach and Paul and Beccy Hopfensperger, massage their children on a regular basis, as well as receiving them personally on a regular basis to keep their bodies feeling healthy, balanced and stress free.
What happens during a treatment?
Before your treatment we will carry out a full and confidential consultation and assessment of your needs. You will be asked to lay on a massage couch face up with a towel wrapped over your upper body having first removed your upper body clothing. The treatment involves firstly massaging the face and ears using some lotion. You will then be asked to turn over to lay face down, where an upper shoulder, upper arms, and neck massage will be given using massage oil. Following this a full and very relaxing scalp massage will be given. At Body and Mind Studio we offer two treatments, one lasting 30 minutes and one lasting 60 minutes according to your specific requirements. IMPORTANT! It should be noted that due to massaging the scalp, your hair will be massaged also, and so consideration should be given as to when you book your appointment as your hair may need washing/re-styling afterwards.
What are the benefits of Indian Head Massage?
Indian Head Massage is believed to assist the recipient in just some, but not all of the following ways: -
· Relaxes the scalp, toning up scalp muscles, stimulating scalp circulation
· Improves texture, strength and growth of hair
· Reduces stress and can induce feelings of euphoria
· Eliminates muscle tension and stimulates circulation in neck and shoulders
· Stimulates the skin and underlying nerve endings, improving skin condition
· Relieves tension headaches, eye strain and jaw ache
· Aids elimination of accumulated toxins and waste products
· Stimulates arterial circulation and increases venous and lymphatic flow
· Deeper, calmer breathing
· Improves sinus problems and relief from nasal congestion
· More restful, refreshing sleep, helping insomnia
· Stretches and mobilises tissues and joints in the neck and shoulder area
· Balances the Chakras (energy centres) by releasing stagnant energy to relieve imbalances and inducing a sense of calmness and positive well-being
· Creates a more even flow of energy around the body
Above: Indian Head Massage